Friday, March 25, 2016

Deal must veto HB 707, the so called "religious liberty" bill

You can read the bill here. It would allow businesses to deny services to people if they had a religious objection. So they could deny service to gays and lesbians and those whose religions they disagree with.

If this bill sounds familiar it is because they have been trying to pass it for three years. This bill is ridiculous and shameful. Many companies have threatened to leave the state if this bill is signed into law including Salesforce, Disney and Marval and the production of The Walking Dead. A list of tweets is available here.

As a queer woman, this bill makes me sick. No one has the right to discriminate against anyone else. It also scares me. I should have just as much right as anyone else to a product or service. I shouldn't have to worry I won't get a job or will be fired because of my sexual orientation. This bill is legitimized bigotry. I protested this thing last year and the year before. My friend was arrested in Josh McKoon's, (Senate sponsor) office last year.

There will be a Protest on Tuesday, April 5th at the Capitol to encourage Governor Deal to veto this bill. It is bad for the economy and it is just plain wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment